What to Expect
Moving to On Demand, our cloud-based solution, will get you the most advanced version of FogBugz and Kiln, running on the world’s best infrastructure and managed by our dedicated team of experts. We know your data and uptime are important to you and your business, so we will work with you through every step of the process. The following sections will tell you how the migration process works, including the best practices, risks, and any commonly asked questions. Let’s get started!
- 1 What to Expect
- 2 How does the Migration Process Work?
- 3 Best Practices
- 4 Risks
- 5 Pricing
- 6 FAQ
- 6.1 What’s the difference between FogBugz For Your Server and FogBugz On Demand?
- 6.2 When could the migration be scheduled?
- 6.3 For how long would we be without the use of FogBugz?
- 6.4 Will we be able to preserve our full FogBugz case history?
- 6.5 Can I disable Google Analytics?
- 6.6 Can I disable New Relic?
- 6.7 Can I have a test migration of partial and/or full data?
- 6.8 Would you prefer a single backup file?
- 6.9 What is the maximum On Demand Attachment Size for emails and in case upload?
- 6.10 How can our Kiln topology be kept?
- 6.11 Will we need to recreate all the users ?
- 6.12 Can I use LDAP/Active Directory with FogBugz On Demand?
- 6.13 Will existing ‘test’ bugs we have created at <my_account>.fogbugz.com be deleted?
- 6.14 What happens to user accounts as part of the migration (are existing ‘test’ users deleted and replaced with the users from our database, what happens to user passwords etc)?
- 6.15 Should I disable Mailboxes in my FogBugz For Your Server before uploading?
- 6.16 Can I reduce downtime by providing a full database backup and a differential database backup?
- 6.17 Do you comply with EU Safe Harbor certification?
- 6.18 I have information dependent on a custom domain. Will I still be able to use this?
- 6.19 Is On Demand PHI or HIPAA compliant?
- 6.20 Is Fog Creek Software willing to sign an NDA?
How does the Migration Process Work?
We schedule each migration to give each account the attention it deserves. Because of this, we only schedule migrations during our normal business hours of 9AM – 5PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday. This way, the Engineering and Support teams are available to handle any issues that may occur during the import process. Depending on where your business is located, this may not overlap with your working hours. We’ll work with you throughout the process to answer any questions your team may have. We’ll work with you to:
- Plan and finalize the best FogBugz and/or Kiln subscription plan to meet your team’s needs.
- Choose your new URL here
- Check the data quality of your existing FogBugz database
- Schedule a date and time for the import process
- Shut down your self-hosted version of FogBugz and/or Kiln (part of the prepare process)
- Upload your compressed (.zip) full FogBugz database backup to a secure FTP site that we provide (part of the prepare process)
- Migrate, and possibly convert, your data to FogBugz On Demand
- If using Kiln, create and push your repositories to Kiln On Demand
- Check the status of your shiny new FogBugz and/or Kiln On Demand account, and wrap things up once you’re happy!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
- We require that you’re running the latest version of FogBugz and/or Kiln For Your Server and Microsoft SQL Server 2000 through 2008R2.
- A test upload to the FTP site we provide will help you gauge the start of the migration process. Different networks and ISPs treat FTP connections differently; some can be fast, and some can be unexpectedly slow.
- Before you shut down your local FogBugz instance for the backup, you should disable any mailboxes that are configured with your account. This way you know no emails are pulled into the account until you reconfigure the mailboxes in your On Demand account.
- You will also want to disable any replication configuration set up on your database before you take the backup.
- An upload of your data at the end of your business day typically ensures we have the data at the start of our business day.
- You haven’t made any changes to the FogBugz and/or Kiln database schemas either by yourself, or by a recommendation from Fog Creek Customer Service.
- You do not depend on direct access to the FogBugz and/or Kiln databases.
- You do not plan on using Active Directory or LDAP with On Demand, and will use a FogBugz and/or Kiln username and password.
- You are flexible with the FogBugz URL changing. All URLs in On Demand are only in the format of https://<your_account_name>.fogbugz.com. For Kiln, the same applies but your URL will be in the format https://<your_account_name>.kilnhg.com.
- For Kiln, you’ll need to push the repositories you want to move to your new Kiln site after the FogBugz migration completes.
- All data in the On Demand account will be replaced in its entirety.
- FogBugz migrations can typically occur in as little as two business days once the On Demand subscription is finalized and data quality checks are confirmed.
- Plan for half a business day without FogBugz for a FogBugz database that is less than 10GB and meets the requirements above. They can typically be migrated in about 4 hours. Often times, this is completed sooner.
- Plan for at least a full business day without FogBugz if the FogBugz database is larger than 10GB, or is not a backup from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 through 2008R2.
A few things that will delay, cancel, or prevent the migration to On Demand:
- During the migration there may develop a complication that requires additional effort beyond the initial process. If this happens, we will notify you that we have to cancel the migration and reschedule once we resolve the issue.
- FogBugz uses a proprietary encoding technique with MySQL. If you have a MySQL database, we must take the extra step to convert the database to the desired format. As a result, the amount of time required for the migration almost doubles. In addition, we cannot guarantee all encoding issues will be resolved.
- Additional custom SQL changes to your data can also increase the amount of migration time as well as the possibility of additional complications.
- If you are using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or greater, we must take the additional time to convert the data to the desired format.
- If we do not have permission to access your data for the duration of the migration, then we cannot perform it.
- If you require PHI or HIPPA compliance, On Demand is not a good fit. Read more here.
We do require a one-year prepayment of a 10 user tier FogBugz, or higher, for databases that match our requirements. After the first year, you may switch to monthly billing if you prefer. Send us an email with your For Your Server Order ID to get a custom quote!
What’s the difference between FogBugz For Your Server and FogBugz On Demand?
When could the migration be scheduled?
For how long would we be without the use of FogBugz?
Will we be able to preserve our full FogBugz case history?
– Yes, your full FogBugz case history will be migrated during this process.
Can I disable Google Analytics?
– Partially. We can disable URL prettify (which removes the case title from the URL). It is not possible to entirely disable Google Analytics in On Demand.
Can I disable New Relic?
– Yes. Please let us know if this is something you require for your On Demand account.
Can I have a test migration of partial and/or full data?
– We do not generally provide test migrations of data. We don’t mind receiving backup uploads to our FTP site and checking the hashes to test the connection, however.
Would you prefer a single backup file?
– Yes, we require a single full backup of the FogBugz database to complete the migration process to our On Demand databases. We cannot accept differential or log backups. The full backup should be in the state you wish to move to On Demand.
What is the maximum On Demand Attachment Size for emails and in case upload?
– We have a knowledgebase article for that: /9722/file-upload-attachment-sizes. To save you the click, our current file size limit for attachment uploads is 10 MB and for e-mails is roughly 20 MB. This will only affect you after the import: all attachments in your existing database will be imported, regardless of size.
How can our Kiln topology be kept?
– We recommend re-creating your Kiln topology and pushing your repositories to your new Kiln On Demand repositories. This not only provides a clean repository load but lets the migration be completed faster than if we tried to include all the Kiln data. You spend less time waiting on us to complete a migration, which puts your staff back in business faster!
Will we need to recreate all the users ?
– No! All user accounts will be brought over as part of the FogBugz On Demand import process. This includes their associations with cases, such as assigned cases and case events.
Can I use LDAP/Active Directory with FogBugz On Demand?
– No, FogBugz On Demand uses an email/password combination to authenticate users. If you migrate to On Demand, and your previous system used AD/LDAP authentication, all users will need to use “Forgot Password” to create a password at first log in.
Will existing ‘test’ bugs we have created at <my_account>.fogbugz.com be deleted?
– Yes. To complete the import process, the existing FogBugz On Demand account will be cleared of all existing data.
What happens to user accounts as part of the migration (are existing ‘test’ users deleted and replaced with the users from our database, what happens to user passwords etc)?
– All data in <my_account>.fogbugz.com is replaced with all of the data from your own FogBugz database. This means that any users will also be removed from <my_account>.fogbugz.com and replaced with the users and their passwords from your own FogBugz database.
Should I disable Mailboxes in my FogBugz For Your Server before uploading?
– Yes. As soon as the data is imported to On Demand, FogBugz will shortly begin to check any mailboxes that are enabled. To ensure control of the import of emails into FogBugz, you should disable the mailboxes before backing up the database.
Can I reduce downtime by providing a full database backup and a differential database backup?
– No. All the data must be migrated to On Demand in one go.
Do you comply with EU Safe Harbor certification?
I have information dependent on a custom domain. Will I still be able to use this?
– No. Any services (e.g. API, user portals, BugzScout) that are hard coded to a custom domain will need to be changed to work with <my_account>.fogbugz.com.
Is On Demand PHI or HIPAA compliant?
– No. A bit more information is available here: HIPAA Compliance.
Is Fog Creek Software willing to sign an NDA?
– In most situations, yes. Send us your NDA and we’ll review it. Please note that there may be exceptional circumstances where we will be unable to sign an NDA.